Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Inspiration and a Craft Tip from Kate DiCamillo

Looking over my notes from the recent SCBWI Summer conference, the keynote by Kate DiCamillo held two gems I wanted to share...

The Inspiration

It took Kate 473 submissions before she got a YES towards getting published. And after telling us that, she said, "What if I'd stopped at 472?"

The Craft Tip

When progressing from one draft to the next, Kate prints and then re-types the entire draft. (She shares the 5th draft with her beta reader friends.)

While not every craft strategy will work for everyone, this approach was new to me, and I'm excited to try it for my work in progress. Thanks, Kate! (And thanks to SCBWI for having Kate give a keynote!)

Kate DiCamillo author photo
Newbery-medal winning author Kate DiCamillo

Illustrate, Translate, and Write On,
Lee

No comments: