I think you’ll agree when I say:
Creating a website is a daunting task.
Or is it?
It turns out, you can dramatically increase your enjoyment and success of the project by doing one simple thing…
…something so simple that you probably do it before you embark on your important writing and illustration projects already.
And in today’s post, I’m going to show you what the simple this is…and exactly how you can easily incorporate it when you’re ready to revamp or make your very first website.
Before Creating an Author or Illustrator Website
- When selecting a domain name, ensure it is unique, easy to remember, and related to your brand or book.
- The CMS platform should be mobile-friendly, user-friendly, and align with your goals and technical abilities.
- For web hosting providers, it's also important to consider factors like transparency of pricing, server speed, uptime, and customer support when selecting.
- Before designing your website layout, take the time to gather content, such as book descriptions, author bios, and photos. This will ensure that you know what needs to be included, if not quite exactly where it needs to go. That will come later.
Optional Support to Help You Succeed
During the Website Creation Process
During the website creation process, it's important to be open-minded and flexible. Be open to new ideas and suggestions from the design and technical professionals you may be working with as well as when you receive feedback from others like friends and family as you progress. When you're in the weeds, it's hard to see the big picture. Others' opinions of ease of use, navigation, colors, etc. can be very helpful and lead to a better end product.
Optional Support to Help You Succeed
Additionally, as you work on your website, you may encounter technical issues that you are not sure how to solve. Choosing a hosting provider that is known for its technical help is crucial so that you can get issues resolved quickly and efficiently, saving you time and frustration. Don't hesitate to use the chatbox or call the help number that's provided. Most times, these success departments don't just tell you what's wrong, they will fix it for you.
After the website is published
- Website analytics tools can help you track website performance, such as website traffic, click-through rates, bounce rates, and conversions. This can help you understand your audience better and make informed decisions about future website updates.
- Regular website maintenance is also crucial, including updates to the CMS, themes, plugins, and backups. This can help prevent security breaches and ensure that your website is functioning correctly.
- The connecting of the social media profiles to your website happens in the design phase, but now it's time to ensure your social media profiles link back to your website to increase traffic.
Optional Support to help you succeed
Ayanna Coleman is a high-level marketing and creative concept strategist. As founder of Quill Shift, a boutique marketing agency, she helps thought leaders, experts, and creative thinkers expand on, clarify, and crystalize their next big ideas for programs, movements, or life-changing experiences so they (and their team) can make them a reality. Trained as a youth services librarian, she started her career at Hachette Book Group in digital marketing, moved into the nonprofit space and led programming and diversity initiatives at the Children’s Book Council, and over the last eight years has partnered with and led marketing initiatives on behalf of publishers, distributors, literary agencies, and startups across three continents. Snag a helpful author website checklist and gain access to more of Ayanna’s marketing tips and tutorials here.