Tuesday, September 20, 2022

If Your Words Were Painted In Letters 4 Feet Tall...

In a powerful new installation at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, acclaimed artist Barbara Kruger's text covers the floor and towering walls of the Marron Family Atrium. Some of the letters are HUGE, making you swivel your head to read the phrase, the sentence, the paragraph.

photo of the Barbara Kruger installation at the MOMA - text covers the floor and walls, towering over the people in the space
A photo I took of the Barbara Kruger installation

And it got me thinking... What would I write if each letter was going to be 4 feet high and put up on a wall? Would I choose each word with more care? Each phrase? Each paragraph?

I know I would. 

I touch a single key on my keyboard that's just a touch larger than my fingertip to say:

I

Would that "I" mean something different, something more, if it was in a font that rose from the floor up to my chest?

What would I write, if it was larger than a billboard, writ huge across a museum wall that towers 40 feet from the floor?

Would would you write? What would you draw? What would you translate?

It's inspiring, and a fun exercise to try out!

Illustrate, Translate, and Write On,
Lee

No comments: