Thursday, September 17, 2026

KEEPING A SKETCHBOOK CHANGED MY LIFE: How to start and keep a daily drawing habit. Part Three: THE FEAR OF THE BLANK PAGE!

Hello again. It’s me, Mike Lowery.

It’s time for part three of this little series that I’ve been writing for SCBWI about how keeping a sketchbook has totally changed my life.

In part one, we talked about WHY keeping a sketchbook is so important. In part two, I talked about how to pick the right sketchbook.

Today, I’ll pivot to one of the hardest parts of starting and keeping a sketchbook habit: what the heck am I actually supposed to draw?

AKA
THE FEAR OF THE DREADED BLANK PAGE.


Has this happened to you? You sit down to draw. In front of you is a nice, clean, brand-new sketchbook, a cup of coffee, and a sharpened pencil. The sunlight through the window is just right, not too bright, not too dark. Is that a Northern Cardinal you can hear off in the distance?

The setting is perfect. And yet. When you look down at that stark white page, it suddenly occurs to you that you have no idea what to draw. What do other people draw? How is it that so many illustrators can apparently have endless ideas to fill up the pages of their sketchbooks?

Let me tell you that I have been keeping a daily sketchbook for nearly 30 years, and I STILL have these moments.

HERE’S WHY YOU GET STUCK.

We want each drawing to be perfect. And that’s not what a sketchbook is for. A sketchbook is meant to be a place where you can freely experiment with new approaches to making art and new art supplies. So, try to turn off that internal editor and get your pen moving across the paper.
Here are a few suggestions to get rolling.

DRAW FROM YOUR LIST OF THINGS THAT YOU LIKE TO DRAW.

Remember back in week one when I said to make a list of things you like? This should be a constantly evolving and growing document. Try not to overthink what you add to the list or decide to draw. Feeling uninspired by your list of things to draw? No problem. Find a “drawing a day” list that excites you. Or, join an online art community challenge like Hourly Comics Day or Inktober.

Sometimes drawing from a list like this can feel a little silly. That’s okay! The goal is not to overthink it.

I made a list of fun stuff to draw! You can download my list of drawing suggestions here: https://www.gettingpaidtodraw.com/stufftodraw

image.jpeg


FIND YOUR TIME OF THE DAY TO DRAW

It’s easy to imagine that you’ll randomly pick up your sketchbook at various times during the day.

I’ve learned that it’s much easier to find a short window during the day and make that your go-to time to sit and open your sketchbook. For many years, I preferred to draw late at night when emails stopped rolling in, and everyone else was asleep. I would draw with no distractions until 2 or 3 in the morning.

Well! My kids came along and those days are over! Now I prefer to work in my sketchbook directly after the morning family routine stuff is over. After the kids are dropped off at school and before I start responding to emails or my client work, I will open my sketchbook and try to focus on it for at least 20 minutes. Some days it ends up being much longer; some days it’s just a few minutes.

THINK ABOUT IT.

Take a little bit of time to think about what time of day would be the best fit to make your official sketchbook time window. Maybe it’s during your lunch break or right before bed. Try sticking to the same time for a few days in a row.

DRAWING ACTIVITY NUMBER THREE.

Pick one of these drawing suggestions.
Set a timer for 6 minutes.
DRAW!

Drawing ideas.

A TURTLE PLAYING TENNIS

A STRANGE MACHINE

WHERE DID THE LOST SOCK END UP?



Ready? Set your timer and….

DRAW!


Thanks for reading,
Mike


Want more suggestions on things to draw? I made this little class with Skillshare.

(You can watch it for free if you use this link: https://skl.sh/49t44kI)


GETTING PAID TO DRAW

Want to know more about the illustration world?

Every year, Mike holds a class for illustrators called “Getting Paid to Draw.” He and his incredible guests break down the business of illustration. They go deep into topics like building a portfolio, submitting a children’s book, working with agents, beating creative block, and so much more. Registration is starting soon; sign up for more information.

See his graphic novel series, UNICORNDOG, here, and follow Mike on Instagram at @mikelowerystudio.

1 comment:

Teresa Robeson said...

Even after having taken Getting Paid to Draw twice, I am still daunted when faced with a blank page. So I always lap up Mike's wisdom, whether it be on blogs like this or his own newsletter because good advice never gets old (especially when you're as forgetful as I am).