Thursday, September 10, 2026

KEEPING A SKETCHBOOK CHANGED MY LIFE: How to start and keep a daily drawing habit. Part Two!

Okay, so in part one of this series:

KEEPING A SKETCHBOOK CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE, 

I talked about why keeping a sketchbook is great.

Today, let’s talk about the best way to get started.

The first thing you need to keep a daily sketchbook is... a sketchbook.


WHAT SKETCHBOOK IS THAT?

I get asked a lot which type of sketchbook is my favorite, and I’ll try to break down here why that’s such a hard question to answer.

A quick note before you continue reading. I tend to be reluctant to talk about supplies in general. Not because I’m trying to gatekeep all of the cool stuff, but because I’m a big believer that there’s no one-size-fits-all art supply.

So, a sketchbook that works for me might be an awful fit for you. The same goes for pens and brushes.

It’s up to you to experiment until you find the supplies that fit you best.

For a very long time, I carried a Moleskine sketchbook. The small format (3.5x5.5) really helped me to start keeping a daily sketchbook because it was small enough to fit in my pocket.

  


They're small, and the paper color is a great, natural off-white. However, they felt too small after a few years of using one. They make a slightly larger version, but I also didn't love the paper for any wet media (like watercolor or Posca markers). If you like to work small and primarily draw in pencil, try a Moleskine.

Eventually, I realized I didn't need something small enough to fit in my pocket anymore; I needed sturdy paper, but not too textured like some cold-pressed watercolor sketchbooks. I could only know what I was looking for by experimenting!

Unhappy with that tiny size, I switched to a square-format Speedball handbook journal. They make these in a few sizes, but I found the 5.5x5.5 size to work best for me. Plus, the format made it easy to transfer any final drawings I liked to Instagram. The paper is sturdy but not too heavy, and the binding is strong and lays flat.

I will make an urgent plea later not to think about posting while you’re drawing, but those were the early days of IG, back when it felt cozy and friendly to post stuff. Instagram in general is such a weird universe that I actually wrote this little guide for illustrators. INSTAGRAM FOR ILLUSTRATORS.


A few months ago, I reevaluated my sketchbook needs and switched to a slightly larger version of the same sketchbook. So far I’m loving it, but will I stick with it for ten years like I did with my last sketchbook style? Time will tell.

PICK A SIZE

If you haven’t kept a daily sketchbook before, I’d recommend sticking with something on the smaller end. A smaller sketchbook has two big advantages.

1. You can carry it around.


2. The smaller pages are easier to fill up.


PICK A PAPER


If you already draw often and like to use watercolor or paint, get a sketchbook that can really handle wet media.

If you're starting fresh with a drawing habit, I recommend a “sketchbook weight” paper. I mean, it will say “sketchbook.” If the book you pick says “journal,” often the weight of the paper is very thin and won’t be great for drawing.


The best way to see how the paper feels? Go to an art supply store!


A few other things to consider when picking your sketchbook.


1. LOW PRICE.

The nicer it is, the more precious it will feel. The more precious it feels, the less likely you are actually to draw in it.

2. STAYS OPEN

Make sure it can lay open flat. Some fancy-looking sketchbooks aren’t really made to be drawn in; they’re mostly made to look nice. Make sure it lays flat, or you’ll have a hard time drawing in it.

3. WHITE PAPER

I recommend NOT getting a sketchbook with toned paper. Some really gorgeous books have kraft paper, but to get started, I’d stick with plain white paper.

4. 150 PAGES OR LESS

Get a book with a reasonable number of pages. The ones I use typically have 100-130 pages. Any more than that, and you’ll start to feel overwhelmed and give up.


HOW TO PICK THE RIGHT PEN (OR THE WRITE PEN!?)


In the same way that you’ll need to experiment to find your favorite sketchbook, you’ll need to experiment to find the right drawing supplies for you. I’ve made a page with a few of my favorites, but again, I urge you to go to a local art supply shop and really play around with whatever they’ll let you try out.


Here’s a list of a few of my favorite drawing tools.


BIG HUMONGOUS TIP: START WITH WHAT YOU HAVE.


I recommend starting with a cheap mechanical pencil. I use a slightly nicer pencil these days, but a plastic mechanical pencil is a great place to start.


Some of my favorite pages from my collection of travel sketchbooks were done with a basic mechanical pencil.


https://www.mikelowery.com/travel-sketchbooks


Like this page from Maine.



WAIT, CAN’T I JUST USE PROCREATE?


Nope, not for this. Procreate is great. I use it for all of my illustration work, and I talk about it a lot in my class that breaks down the business of illustration, Getting Paid to Draw. Procreate is such a great way to have total control over your final image.

GETTING PAID TO DRAW

However! The point of this blog post series is to get you to make something in the real world. It’s better for your brain and a million other reasons.


FIRST STEP.

Did you find a good sketchbook? Great! Now it’s time to do the most important part.

WRITE YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS IN IT.


I can’t tell you how many horror stories I’ve heard about folks leaving their books on the train or in a bookstore and never seeing them again. Put your contact information in it so if you leave it behind, some nice human will return it to you.


SECOND STEP.

Write the date in your sketchbook. Do this every day!

Noting the date is a great way to use your sketchbook as a daily journal, and it helps to keep you motivated to draw every single day.





ACTIVITY TWO: Draw some things about YOU.


Do you remember that list you made in part one? It’s time to do the same thing, but focus on yourself.


Step one.

Set a timer for 5 minutes and write anything you can think of about yourself. These should be bullet-point notes. Go into this exercise with the mindset that you won’t show it to anyone. This will help you avoid self-editing while writing. Just make a note of anything that pops into your brain.


Step two.

Draw a page that highlights some of the things about you. This could include a self-portrait or, if that makes you feel nervous, just some drawings of those things that you wrote down.


That’s all for now! Good luck getting started with your daily sketchbook.

Mike



GETTING PAID TO DRAW


Want to know more about the illustration world?

Every year, Mike holds a class for illustrators called “Getting Paid to Draw.” He and his incredible guests break down the business of illustration. They go deep into topics like building a portfolio, submitting a children’s book, working with agents, beating creative block, and so much more. Registration is starting soon; sign up for more information.

See his graphic novel series, UNICORNDOG, here, and be sure to follow Mike on Instagram at @mikelowerystudio.

No comments: