Friday, October 14, 2022

How I Started My Local Writer's Group

Back in 2015, I was sitting at home wondering what local writers did to learn about writing. As far as I could tell, there was no local writer's group, and there didn't seem to be many (if any) creative writing classes either.

As a freelance writer and editor, I had some knowledge to share. I had taught a few workshops and delivered several presentations through organizations that had used their own clout to gets butts in seats, so I felt comfortable with the idea of being in a leadership role. But I have an abiding fear that no one will show up when I plan any kind of get-together, personal or professional. So the thought of organizing a local writing workshop or writers group on my own was terrifying.

I decided, for the sake of my own sanity as well as my bank account, I would start small. I planned a series of micro sessions called "Writer's Workshop Wednesday." In each workshop, I would cover one small aspect of writing. For example, one week I would talk about speech tags in dialogue. In another, I would talk about literary genres.

In order to reduce the likelihood of no one showing up, but still offset my own costs, I would ask for a $5 donation from each participant. If anyone wanted to attend but couldn't afford it, no problem. I wouldn't ask for the money, they could just hand it over (or not) at the beginning or end of the workshop.

Sign with balloons that says writer's workshop today


To keep costs as low as possible, I found an inexpensive location in a basement office downtown. It was a communal space designed for just this type of community event. My marketing was minimal: a post on Facebook and a pathetic looking sign made out of an old bulletin board leaning against the wall outside the door. I got some notebooks and pens from the dollar store, laid out on a table, and nervously waited to see who would come.
Small table with notebooks, pens, and cups.

Only one person came the first night. It would have been mortified by this perceived rejection, except that there was something else to be even more mortified about: I hadn't considered the accessibility of the space. The wonderful woman who showed up was in a wheelchair, and the basement space didn't have a ramp or a lift. In a way, I had turned my fear into a self-fulfilled prophecy by making it impossible for the one person who did want to come to be able to do so. 

The following week, I moved the session to the local library, a fully accessible building. They said I could use the open space in the library at no cost as long as the group was small and relatively quiet, and that I continued to use the donation based model of payment. 

Thankfully, the same lady came (she was so forgiving and understanding) and we had a one-on-one session. The following week, there were two people. The week after that four. Week after week, the group grew and transformed, usually hovering around 8 to 10 people per evening, with who came each week changing based on people's schedules.

After about a year of running these weekly sessions, I asked the group what they thought about formalizing our group into some kind of writers guild. They agreed. We eventually established a Board of Directors, ran contests and events, and published a couple of books to raise funds.

I started to get calls from writers in other small towns in our area. They wanted to know if I knew of any writing groups in their community, or if they could join ours even though they were from a hour or more away. This made me realize there were writers in pockets all over the region who felt isolated and unsupported. After that, we helped open chapters of our guild in other communities.

I never could have imagined when I'd started, petrified that no one would come, that it would turn into this. I could have given up after that first session and let my mortification swallow me whole, but instead I decided to make it right and keep going.

So if you're sitting at home wishing you had a local writing group, know that there are likely others in your community wishing for the same thing. Will you be the person who steps up to start it? Will you be the one who pushes through your fear and makes it happen?

I'm so glad I got to be that person. I have so many writers (and friends) in my life that I never would have met had I not taken that step outside of my comfort zone.


Jes Trudel a Canadian author, editor, and instructor based in Timmins, Ontario. She has written and presented for various outlets, including Children's Book Insider, SCBWI, 12x12 Picture Book Challenge, and BoldFace. Jes founded WritingCommunity.ca.

No comments: