Thursday, February 10, 2022

Getting Unstuck: Maneuvering Roadblocks, Hurdles, and the Blank Page

 We’ve all been there, envisioning a perfect story in our minds, only to sit down excited to type, and find the words just aren’t there, or worse, we start off strong and then our ideas and momentum peter out as quickly as they first came to us. Where did all those amazing ideas go that were bursting with imaginative subplots, dynamic characters and heart stopping emotion? They are just gone. Hiding in the shadows of our minds, or maybe they never truly formed. 

This has been my world on countless occasions. Some people might think of this as writer’s block, but I prefer to think of it as not spending enough time with my story, my characters and my story’s world. If I don’t know enough, how will I be able to tell the story I see in my mind? Whenever I am met with these days, I go back to square one. 


                 

In last Thursday’s post, I spoke about discovery and finding my way to new stories in a new year, well, how do I find my way into the one I’ve found, or would like to find? 

 

I start at the beginning of everything. Sounds simple, right? It can be.

 

Whether that is diving into a character’s life, by rutting around in their bookbag or purse, or maybe their most secret drawer, I try to get to know who they are when no one is watching. I try to find what makes them tick. What makes them nervous and happy, what they will fiercely protect and what they will run away from or towards. While most of this I can’t completely figure out by peeking into their bookbag, or suitcase, it does give me a tiny glimpse into who I imagine them to be. What would they grab fleeing a fire? Who would they call last if they could only make one more phone call? Who would they visit if they could only see one more person? What do they carry in their pockets? Or reach for when they’re scared?


                                        

Sometimes I need to shake things up even more, so I’ll hop in my car and take my character out to dinner—what’s their favorite dessert? Do they share? What do they drop in our grocery store cart? What would they spend their money on at a clothing store, toy store, or sports store? What comic would they pull off the shelf? 



 Why so many questions? Because that is the only way I will truly know and discover who my characters want and need to be for my story. I am trying to find what I don’t already know. I want to be surprised by something. Excited to head to the page again. So I walk with them and talk with them, see what they see, hear what they hear, wonder what they wonder. I am ready to do almost anything to get to know the character they want to be, so that when I go back to the story’s world, I care a little more about them and the world they are traversing. I’m rooting for them and am curious to see how they confront (or don’t) any roadblocks or hurdles I throw their way. In finding them, I find my way to getting unstuck.

 

  Guest Blogger

 

 

Leah Henderson is the author of the middle grade novels The Magic in Changing Your Stars, a SCBWI Golden Kite Finalist and One Shadow on the Wall. Her picture books include Daddy Speaks Love, A Day For Rememberin’ and Together We March. When Leah isn’t writing or teaching, she is traveling in search of discovery, stories, and understanding.

No comments: