Thursday, October 11, 2018

Research on the Power of Reading, curated by Donalyn Miller



Donalyn Miller has done a lot of the heavy lifting for us, and for teachers looking to support reading as a good use of time for their students.

A few stand-out quotes:
“A child sitting in a quiet room with a good book isn’t a flashy or marketable teaching method. It just happens to be the only way anyone became a reader.” —Nancie Atwell
and
"Do we really need research proving that kids who read the most outperform kids who don’t read that much? Do we really need research proving that when readers are engaged with what they read they invest more effort in reading? Do we really need research proving that when kids have books in classrooms, libraries, and homes they read more?" —Donalyn Miller
Those last questions may be rhetorical, as Donalyn proceeds to list research and resources that do back up those statements with evidence.

 The part that's really inspiring, for those of us who create books for children and teens?

"when readers are engaged with what they read they invest more effort in reading"

So it's up to us, too. To create books that engage our young readers. Page-turners, fiction, nonfiction, graphic novels, poetry, words and images and stories they'll want to read.

Let's do just that.

Here's a link to Donalyn's full post, I’ve Got Research. Yes, I Do. I’ve Got Research. How About You?

Illustrate and Write On,
Lee

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All the training in the world will not be effective if brain switches are turned off. I know from personal experience. Since 4th grade I suffered shame, humiliation and even physical pain because of my poor reading. Last year I finally found help from my chiropractor with Hypothalamus reset treatment. As I read a paragraph, Dr Chance reset a switch in my hypothalamus. I nearly finished 2 sentences before his treatment was complete. It is as if my brain is now able to access all my education since 4th grade. I no longer feel stupid.