Thursday, July 11, 2024

Establishing a Strong Author-Agent Relationship

The milestone of signing with an agent is an important one in a writer’s career and should be celebrated! But after some champagne and ice cream, the time comes to get to work. And it’s not just working on your manuscript but working on your relationship with your agent. 

I’ve been represented by my agent, Wendi Gu of Greenburger Kids, for six years now and we have established a strong relationship. Here are some things I’ve learned along the way that can help an author maintain a relationship that is beneficial for both parties.

Respect Each Other

Wendi says, “Mutual respect for time and energy is key to me personally,” and I agree.

Agent Wendi Gu

Author Gabi Snyder has a great example of showing respect to her agent, Natalie Lakosil. “When there's a story I really want/need to write, even if she's not excited about it, I go ahead and write it and try to get it as polished as possible before sending it to her.” 

This approach ensures that Gabi is giving her story the best shot but is also respectful of Natalie’s time by showing her a polished project.  

Author Gabi Snyder

Communication is Key

When I asked Wendi for her thoughts on communication she said, “Everyone is a different kind of communicator, and I think it’s important to find a publishing partner whose communication style suits yours.” 

These are good things to talk about when you receive an offer of representation. Does the agent like to discuss editorial feedback on the phone or comments in Google Doc? Knowing what works best for you will help you make sure you partner with an agent who has a similar communication method.

I asked Gabi about her communication style with her agent Natalie. “We communicate primarily through email, and I think that suits us both fine. However, once in a while when we’ve gone back and forth regarding a manuscript and we’re either not quite seeing eye-to-eye or it’s just not where we want it to be despite multiple revisions, we’ll hop on a zoom call to talk through ideas and do some on-the-spot spit balling. It’s nice to occasionally see and hear this person who’s such an important part of my professional life!” 

Establish Trust

Trust is the cornerstone of any healthy relationship, even business relationships. When I send Wendi a manuscript, I trust she will read it when her schedule allows. I also trust that she will give me her honest feedback. If a manuscript isn’t working just yet, or we’ve come to the end of the road on revision options, I know she will tell me—and do so kindly.

Take Feedback

We all know it took a look of revising to get a manuscript into submission-ready state to query an agent. And once you have an agent representing you, you have someone on your side who knows the market. They may see things in a manuscript that critique partners are not privy to, so be open to a new round of feedback once you share a story with your agent.

Gabi said Natalie is an editorial agent and she appreciates her notes. “I think her feedback always helps me strengthen a manuscript.”

Feedback does not only come in the form of editorial notes, but during discussions on contract negotiations. When Wendi was negotiating one of my contracts, she told me the counter-offer she was going to make on the advance. I asked if something higher could be achieved, and she gave me the honest feedback that I was shooting for something out of range. Circling back to trust, I believed in her that she was making the right decisions on my behalf.

With a foundation of trust, then layers of respect, communication, and feedback circles, you can ensure you and your agent have a solid relationship.

About Lisa

Lisa Katzenberger is the author of several books for children, including It Will Be OK: A Story of Empathy, Kindness, and Friendship, A Love Letter to My Library, Croc & Gator: Swamp Ranger School, I Can Do It Even If I'm Scared: Finding The Brave You, and It Belongs to the World: Frederick Banting and the Discovery of Insulin. 

Lisa is on the faculty of The Writing Barn where she teaches picture book writing courses including Perfecting the Picture Book, Writing Social Emotional Learning Picture Books, and Write. Submit. Support. She lives in La Grange, Illinois with her husband and two children. She has been a member of SCBWI since 2015. Visit Lisa online at www.lisakatzenberger.com.





No comments: