Tuesday, June 18, 2013

"Why Should I Join the SCBWI?" - 19 writers give their answers

Pamela K. Witte explains her reasons for being part of SCBWI on the group blog Ink And Angst, and lets us in on the "Why SCBWI?" answers of these new, debut, and well-published authors as well:

Lissa Price, Tamara Ireland Stone, Tara Sullivan, MK Walton, Kristen Kittscher, Kit Grindstaff, Cynthia Leitich Smith, Mindy McGinnis, Claire Mcaterer, Kami Kinard, Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen, Kelly Barson, Kimberley Griffiths Little, Nicole McInnes, Rachel Searles, Linda Boyden, Laura Ellen, and Liz deJager!


The post includes so many great and heartfelt expressions, like KM Walton's

"Why SCBWI?  Because if you're not a member, and you don't attend their local and national conferences, you aren't taking full advantage of the moments they provide... moments that can help you break through and live your dream. Hand to heart."

Cynthia Leitich Smith's shout out to her local SCBWI chapter,
Austin SCBWI is my home base, the font of many of my friendships and my go-to source for the local children’s-YA creative scene. We’re a pay-it-forward chapter, where published folks stay involved and actively mentor up-and-comers. I not only get to know the new hot things, I can also lean, once in a while, on those authors who’ve traveled years on this road with me and continue to learn from them. 

 and Mindy McGinnis' description of her experience attending her first international SCBWI conference in NY,

"...I was in the same room as Julie Andrews, Mo Willems ran past me with his shoe in the air, Tomie dePaola just KIND OF SHOWED UP, and at one point a very nice man asked me if the seat next to me was taken and Dear God - it was Bruce Coville.

Those are just the head-turning experiences.  I also met at least 5 different people that before then I had only talked to online, but called them friends.  The networking was incredible, the workshops invaluable, and the experience intoxicating."

Thanks to Pamela and all the contributors.  We hope to see them, and you, at the 42nd Annual Summer Conference in Los Angeles, August 2-5, 2013.  You can find out more and register here.

And make sure to read the whole wonderful blog post at Ink & Angst!

Illustrate and Write On,
Lee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a blog-mate of Pam's and am thrilled to see her post getting some love. She's a top-notch interviewer.

Of course, SCBWI is amazing--it's showed me how to approach the kid lit world as a professional.