Writing for kids' magazines takes special skills, whether crafting a short piece of fiction or coming up with a unique angle for a nonfiction piece. And illustrators must be able to capture the essence of these pieces in sometimes just a single illustration.
Each year SCBWI honors talented writers and artists who create material for children's magazine with the Magazine Merit Awards. SCBWI HQ has just announced the 2010 recipients. Winners--whose work exhibits excellence and genuine appeal to the interests and concerns of young people--receive Merit Plaques and Honor Certificates for fiction, nonfiction, illustration and poetry which appeared in magazines during the past year. SCBWI also sends Letters of Merit to runners-up.
The Plaque and Honor recipients are:
- Sue Anderson (Plaque) for "Respectfully, Robert E. Lee" (July/August issue of CRICKET)
- Rozanne Silverwood (Honor) for "The Star That Fell to Earth and Became a Tree" (January CRICKET)
- Patricia Nikolina Clark (Plaque) for "Ants in Their Pants" (September/October CICADA)
- Sue Cowing (Honor) for "Insects of the World of Art" (September CRICKET)
- Bonnie Leick (Plaque) for her illustration "Music in the Dark" (August HIGHLIGHTS)
- Bethanie Murguia (Honor) for "Egg Hunt" in (March YOUR BIG BACK YARD)
- Jeanne Hargett (Plaque) for "No Secret" (March HIGHTLIGHTS)
- Jacqueline Jules (Honor) for "Morning Monster" (May/June CRICKET)