Thursday, July 25, 2024

Maintaining a Positive Attitude During the Submission Process

One of the toughest parts of the writing game isn’t always the writing itself, but the rejection that goes along with it. But how do we stay positive in the face of so many nos out there? 

In her blog, Emma Walton Hamilton encourages writers to maintain perspective. “Remember that rejection is a normal part of the publishing process. Every writer faces rejection at some point. It’s not a reflection of your worth as a writer but rather an opportunity to learn and improve.”

I also turned to BlueSky, where the KidLit family is thriving, for some more suggestions on staying upbeat.


Gennie Gorback says she keeps a “Positivity Folder” on her computer. “Every time I receive a kind comment about my work from a critique or an industry person, I take a screenshot and put it in the folder. When I’m feeling down, I look through the folder and remind myself that I’m still on the right track.” 

I love this idea!


Author Samantha M Clark shares, “For me, the best coping mechanism is to not make publishing the focus and instead make it your craft. Send out queries as a task you need to do then dig into a new book project as a reward. Focusing on being creative is better for the soul.”

Another way to stay positive is to keep sending stories out. Larissa D. Elliot says, “When I was querying, I would send out a new query after I got a rejection. It instilled a new bit of hope after the sting.”

By now, getting rejections on my projects is just par for the course. I may take some time to feel sad, but soon I work on processing any feedback the editor provides. My agent usually sends along the passes with an encouraging note of “Onward!” Then I get back to my current project, and the joy of writing comes rushing back.

Emma Walton Harris also suggests seeking out support. “Sharing your experiences and receiving encouragement from others can help you stay motivated.”



So grab a friend, pull out your list of agents or editors, and focus on your craft and next project.

Onward indeed!

1 comment:

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

One thing that helps me is a suggestion from Lesléa Newman - don't think of it as a "submission," which implies you have so much less power... as in you're "submitting" to the editor/publisher's will. Rather, think of it as an "offer." You're "offering" an editor/publisher the opportunity to team up with you on getting this project out into the world. It's a brilliant re-framing, and has helped the nos feel less personal - it's not about me, it's that teaming up on this project wasn't right for that editor/publisher. My agent and I made an offer, it may not have been accepted, but I didn't lose my power. Thanks, this is a good topic for all of us to consider!