Monday, June 3, 2013

Keepers of Catherine's Dream: The Children's Literature Community (lead by SCBWI member and author Bobbie Pyron) Help Build A Dream For A Child Lost At Sandy Hook... And You Can Help!



Bobbie explains:

Like most everyone across this country, I was devastated and appalled by the horrific shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. And probably like many of you, in the months following, I signed a zillion petitions and wrote letters to my senators. In the end, though, I felt powerless to make any effective change come from this tragedy.

Then I read about little Catherine Violet Hubbard, one of the children killed in the shooting. Like me, six-year-old Catherine loved all animals. It was her dream to one day have her own animal sanctuary in Newtown where homeless animals would feel safe and loved. Since her death, her parents and The Animal Center of Newtown have become keepers of her dream. The Hubbards and The Animal Center have started the Catherine Violet Hubbard Sanctuary fund (www.theanimalcenter.org/sanctuary) to build a sanctuary in her honor.

Suddenly, I knew there was a way I could make a difference: why not raise money for Catherine’s dream? And what better way to do it than through books! Figuring there were at least a few big-hearted authors feeling frustrated too, I started emailing. The response has been overwhelming! Over thirty authors—many of them award winning and NYT bestsellers—have said, “Count me in!”

Starting June 3rd, “Authors for Catherine’s Dream” (www.bobbiepyron.com/auction) will be auctioning off signed, hardback copies of books, from picture books to adult fiction, every day until midnight on June 16th. You’ll be able to bid on books during the entire two weeks!

Who are some of the authors donating signed books? Here’s a taste: Patricia MacLachlan, Sharon Creech, Kathi Appelt, Arthur A. Levine, Jane Yolen, Sara Zarr, (our own) Lin Oliver and Martha Brockenbrough, Ruta Sepetys, Clare Vanderpool and many, many more.

Even if you're not a books-signed-by-the-author geek like I am, think of what great gifts these signed books would make, or donations to your local public or school library! So mark your calendar for June 3-16th and check in daily for the new batch of books for auction.

Let’s all be keepers of Catherine’s Dream. 
Catherine Violet Hubbard

You can find out more about Bobbie Pyron at her website, and join in the auction here.

Keep On Illustrating, Writing and Doing Good In Our World,
Lee

2 comments:

Alex said...

Thanks for doing this. I have been following the progress of Catherine's Dream since it started. My cousin lost his little boy, Daniel Barden, at Sandy Hook so I have a special interest in things related to it. Thanks again, I will be helping.

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thanks for sharing this. The auction is underway and going strong! Hope everybody clicks over to bid on some of the great books.