Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Neil Gaiman's Inspirational Commencement Speech

It's graduation season, and Neil Gaiman's words to the 2012 graduating class of University of the Arts in Philadelphia, PA, USA, speak to all of us creative types.

He covers the problems of failure.

The problems of success.

The challenge of realizing that he'd become someone who professionally answered emails and who wrote as a hobby... and how he fixed that.

and the moment when

"I decided that I'd do my best in future not to write books just for the money.  If you didn't get the money, then you didn't have anything.  And if I did work I was proud of, and I didn't get the money, at least I'd have the work."

It's brilliant, and inspiring.  Enjoy,




"Make Good Art."  

Now there's a mantra we can all follow.

Illustrate and Write On, 
Lee

ps - for more about Neil and his best-selling and multi-award-winning art, check out his website here.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Very inspiring and sprinkled with humor!

Ali B said...

Great message! I should have it tattooed on my arm or stitch it on a pillow. I really need to read it every day.

Michelle Cusolito said...

I heard part of this on public radio last week. Just great.