Thursday, June 2, 2011

Crystal Kite Winner Interview Week Three: Bonny Becker, A BEDTIME FOR BEAR

As our Crystal Kite-athon nears its end, today we feature Bonny Becker whose book A BEDTIME FOR BEAR won the Crystal Kite Award for the Washington/
Oregon/Alaska/Idaho/Montana/North Dakota/South Dakota region. To learn more about today's winning author, visit her website or find her on Facebook.

Please tell my readers a little about your winning book.

A BEDTIME FOR BEAR is the third in a series featuring the fastidious, grumpy Bear and his friend, the ever-ebullient Mouse. In BEDTIME, Bear needs quiet, absolute quiet to sleep. But, Mouse is unfortunately not quite as a quiet as a … well, you know what.



How does it feel to receive an award voted on by your peers? What does this award mean to you?

It’s a wonderful feeling. I was truly surprised when I won because there were so many other great books and authors nominated from our area. I feel privileged that so many of my peers read the book and went to the trouble to vote for it. So I’d like to say "thank you!"

How long have you been a member of SCBWI? How has your SCBWI membership been helpful to your career?


I’ve been a member for over 20 years. I attend meetings and conferences and have spoken at a number of events.

SCBWI has been incredibly important in my career. When I first started out I was in awe at being in the same room as published authors. I was so jealous when they showed sample art for their books and complained about their editors and agents. I would have given my eye-teeth to complain about my agent! It offered so much information and support as a beginner and, now, as one of those published authors, it’s a place to connect with friends and fellow writers and for continuing support in this phase of my writing. It’s my number one recommendation to people who say they’d like to write for children.

Do you have an upcoming book you'd like me to mention?

My fourth Mouse and Bear book THE SNIFFLES FOR BEAR comes out this September. Bear has a cold and is, of course, the world’s worst patient. No one has ever been as sick as he. And Mouse is the world’s most annoyingly cheerful nurse.

No comments: