Tuesday, August 11, 2026

SCBWI Resource: How to Create Powerful Stories for Young Readers to See Themselves

So...in proper Leo fashion I must announce that it is my birthday...WEEK! Well, really my birthday month— so I'd love all of the book recommendations and treats! And as an individual who is LEGALLY obligated to celebrate their birthday for the full month, I will be enjoying my downtime by catching up on all of the wonderful resources and materials SCBWI has to offer.

The thing I love about the virtual conference is the Replays, and Airmeet, the new platform used for the conference, supplied us with instant replays. I've already rewatched Making an Emotional Impact: Historical Fiction in a Graphic Novel with Maria Van Lieshout and the Closing Keynote with Brian Selznick

If you weren't able to attend and want to get a taste for what a virtual conference has in store, read some blog posts by Jaime Temairik, Jolie Stekly and yours truly on The Official SCBWI Conference Blog

And remember, you can watch the REPLAYS until September 13th!


Also, in case you've missed it, check out the "How to Create Powerful Stories for Young Readers to See Themselves" webinar, hosted by SCBWI and sponsored by ACA, free on YouTube, where the Nadias (Nadia Salomon, author-illustrator; Nadia Fisher, author-illustrator; Nadia Hsieh, illustrator) share tips on their craft, how to use voice and POV, choosing mentor texts and building stronger narratives! Whether you are crafting picture books or novels, this webinar is beneficial to all!


No comments: